Photo: Slimane Brahimi
Nora Kabli is a self-taught photographer who was born in Paris, in 1986, from a Moroccan father and a Mexican mother. In 2007, she graduated from Université Paris Est Marne-la-Vallée, in Applied Languages and successively moved to London where she worked as a French and Spanish Teacher before obtaining her Master’s Degree in International Relations from the University of Westminster. From 2011 to 2015 she worked within the Cultural and Multilateral Affairs Section of the Embassy of Mexico to the United Kingdom.
In 2014, she decided to take a sabbatical leave from the Mexican institution and she moved to Bangalore, India. This is where her interest for photography grew. People’s simplest and strangest behaviors fascinate her. Attracted by the unknown but also thanks to her multicultural background, she feels comfortable in multiple atmospheres and cultures. In search of storytelling and diversity, she believes that sharing her work can contribute to improve the positive human and social impact of photography.
In February 2015, she joined the Italian Institute of Photography (Istituto Italiano di Fotografia) in Milan, Italy where she took a Reportage Photography course taught by Sara Munari, a well-known Italian photographer who edited a part of her work and, to some extent, who has influenced her work.
Today, Nora lives in Paris where she daily uses her camera as a tool or as an excuse to approach people, to create short moments of intimacy with her subjects and transform routine in discovery.
-The Post Internazionale, Italian online newspaper, June 2016
– Gasp street and stories, The weekly dose, November 2017
-Travel Blog , February 2018,
– European photography contest, Nora has been selected as a Sky Arts Master of Photography Contestant for the 2018 edition, May 2018
– Art review by Jean-Pierre Brigaudiot, French art critic about the exhibition “Seule avec l’Iran (alone with Iran) : http://www.teheran.ir/spip.php?article2654#gsc.tab=0
– “Giro-Vagando Milano”, group exhibition, at Arci Bellezza, Milano, Italy. June and July 2016
-“Ancora più vicino”, solo exhibition, in the framework of the Italian Festival “l’Isola che c’è”, September 17-18, 2016, Lake Como, Italy
– “New York Smiles”, a series of Street photographs, in the framework of the Festival of Street Photography. September 16-17, 2017, Paris France.
-“Seule avec l’Iran” (“Alone with Iran) , a series of Street photographs taken in Iran in 2017, January 10-24 2019, Iran Cultural Centre, Paris
– “Street Sans Frontière”, a collective exhibition, Galerie Joseph Turenne, Paris, France, 17-18-19 May 2019
- August 2016, selected by Magnum Photos X Canon to participate in the First Impressions Portfolio Reviews for emerging photographers, in Perpignan at ‘Visa pour l’image’
- Publication of a photograph for the gallery of the LensCulture Magnum Photography Award 2017
- Photo exhibited in the framework of the photography competition organised by the Festival of Street Photography. September 2018, Paris France
- Photo exhibited in the framework of the street photography competition organized by the Festival of Street Photography. November 2019, Galerie de l’Aiguillage, les Frigos de Paris, France
- Documentary about Street Photography produced by Pierre Montant. Interview about my work (starting from 07:14 minutes) : https://vimeo.com/314793065?fbclid=IwAR0ur5N0NJTefAP5yMWC5YOIWaZY9jY5sTjh5nNgclE-DG05dAdE6lCAd0A
- Second place for the national photography competition of the SAIF prize, “LES FEMMES S’EXPOSENT”, with the “Daftar” series, June 2020
- Selected as one of the authors of the book “Staying Home Together”, the book is to be presented during Trieste Photo Days festival, in Italy, 2020
Posted in: Uncategorized